- I'm making a giant puppet for Beltane this year. I've been wanting to get into making puppets for ages, and this is a great opportunity to do it. It's also a relatively low-time-commitment way to stay involved with Beltane.
- I've got a new housemate, the girlfriend of one of my existing housemates, with a van. Indirectly this has made it possible to completely rearrange the kitchen here so it's a pleasure to use, no longer cramped and misshapen. It also means we now have a truly massive tea collection - her collection's about as big as mine, and mostly but not exclusively herbal, so there's now a full shelf of tea tea and a full shelf of tisanes. We should probably have a tea party.
- I finally retrieved my wood-carving chisels when I was down in London in the Winter - someone had tidied them away unfindably a few years ago, much to my disappointment. I've just about finished carving a snake into my monopod-staff now, doubling as grips for my fingers.
- I had fun reading the odd little piece 'The King, Multidimensional', about fifteen ways for Elvis to die, for the next Everything2 podcast. Hear it here if you're interested.
- I made myself a pinhole camera! Actually I made the pinhole bit about a year ago, but got stuck trying to figure out a way to build a winding mechanism for 120 film into the tea tin I'm using. Went to a pinhole workshop at the Forest yesterday and discovered there was an old Hasselblad back kicking around in the darkroom! That takes care of the winding very neatly - all I had to do was cut a square in the back of the tin for it to sit on top of, and apply gaffer tape to hold it in place. I'm not confident it's sufficiently light-tight, and I'm not sure how far I should be turning the handle for each frame, but these are things I can sort out after I've run a film through it.
- I'm going to the Miyazaki double bill at the Cameo in an hour - the new one, Ponyo, plus Spirited Away. I've been watching quite a bit of Studio Ghibli lately - I think I've got through most of them now.
Current Mood: busy
Current Music: Train Song by Eliza Carthy